- Lead counsel for the seller in a proposed $8.6 billion proposed transaction and successfully defeated several motions to enjoin the shareholder vote brought by putative class representatives in federal court.
- Led a 50-lawyer team in responding to a Second Request from the U.S. Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division concerning a $3 billion merger of two service providers in the financial industry. The merger was ultimately allowed to close without conditions.
- Worked with a team to defeat class certification in a matter where plaintiffs sought certification of a putative nationwide class; plaintiffs sought in excess of $150 million in damages.
- Successfully represented defendants, including individual officers and directors, in Rule 10b-5 class actions in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin and the Northern District of California.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a manufacturer in a federal action in California concerning an earn-out provision in a merger agreement.
- Successfully represented a defendant investor in a breach of fiduciary duty/minority oppression case in New York state court in a three-week trial.
- City of Sterling Heights v. Bucyrus Int’l, Inc., No. 2010-CV-1106 (E.D. Wis. Jan. 19, 2011) (representing Bucyrus International, Inc.).
- Syndicated Commc’n Venture Partners IV, LP v. BayStar Capital, L.P., et al., Appeal No. 3705 (N.Y. App. Div. May 22, 2008) (representing BayStar).
- Rumis et al v. Brady Worldwide, Inc., 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 37190 (S.D. Cal. 2007) (representing Brady Worldwide).
- Noonan v. The Northwestern Mut. Life Ins. Co., Appeal No. 2005AP1683 (Wis. Ct. App.) (representing Northwestern Mutual).
- Heiting Tool and Die Inc. v. Ossur North Am. Inc., Case No. 03-C-1057 (E.D. Wis. Nov. 16, 2005) (representing Ossur).
- In re Van Wagoner Funds, Inc. Secs. Litig., Case No. 3:02-CV-03383 (N.D. Cal. July 27, 2004) (representing UMB Fund Services).